- sightseeing of the Korcula
Old Town + visiting main
and drinking in numerous restaurants, konobas and cafe's
- sword dance : Performances of Korcula's famous folk
dance, the Moreška, take place outside the main gate to the
old town in summer every Thursday evening (tickets 50kn).
This frantic, sword-based dance is the story of a conflict
between the Christians (in red) and the Moors (in black):
the heroine, Bula, is kidnapped by the evil foreign king and
his army, and her betrothed tries to win her back in a ritualized
sword fight which takes place within a shifting circle of
- concerts in Cathedral Sveti Marko
and swimming - Your best bet for beaches is to head off
by water taxi from the old harbour to one of the Skoji islands just offshore. The largest and nearest of these is Badija,
where there are some secluded rocky beaches, a couple of snack
bars and a naturist section. There's also a sandy beach just
beyond the village of Lumbarda, 8km south of Korcula (reached
by hourly bus in the summer).
- cycling, sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, canoeing - there are several agencies that rent bicycles, scooters, kayaks etc to further explore surroundings.
and hiking : Sveti Ilija Mountain, Zrnovo, Defora and
- day trips to Dubrovnik, National
Park Mljet, Islands
in Korcula Archipelago Skoji: Badija, Vrnik..